Why Do Affirmations Work?
There is proof that positive self talk and thinking can have actual lasting effects on ourselves, things like improved immune system, better heart health, longer life span and lower rates of depression.
What is an affirmation?
An affirmation is a positive statement that can help you challenge and overcome self-sabotage, negative thoughts, fear, worry and anxiety. The statement is repeated multiple times in tandem with deep breathing and eye contact. To speak positivity and attempt to take charge of your mind which in turn can slowly change your way of thinking of life and self, this has also been known to help with stress.
These positive quotes are a great way to help motivate and push yourself each day. When you wake up in the morning, before a workout, before a big meeting, dinner out, anytime you feel you need some positive words is a good time to do them.
How do you do affirmations?
Steps to use affirmations:
1. Take 3 deep breaths where the exhale is longer than the inhale
2. Look at yourself in a mirror straight into your eyes (this is a great way to start your morning before you get ready for the day)
3. Say your affirmation(s) or positive statements slowly and clearly
4. Repeat it 3-5 times focusing on the meaning of the words and trying to embody them
My favorite affirmations
I try to relate my affirmations to what is happening in my life at this moment in time, finding statements that have meaning to you are going to be more beneficial and help with positivity.
- “I have a happy and healthy body”
- “I radiate confidence and positivity”
- “I am successful at everything I do”
- “My life is overflowing with joy, love and abundance”
- “I trust I am right where I need to be”
- “I am proud of who I am”
- “Something wonderful is about to happen to me”
I will share a little bit of how these look for me; I like to prepare one the night before to be the first thing I say to myself when I wake up in the morning, whether it is in my head or out loud, I don’t miss it. I then try to do one when I get to the gym before I get out of the car, one that relates to meeting my goals. Next, I like to do one before I go into work, this really sets my mood and tone for how I want to be at work that day. I then like to find one that night for the next morning again, I have had friends who write them on their mirrors, sticky notes, phone backgrounds, just try and find what works best for you and your lifestyle.
We all can be a little nicer to ourselves, when we are loving, caring and understanding of our body and mind, it in turn will do amazing things for us! Capable of so many things, sometimes we just need to hear it from ourselves to make it true.
As always keep it simple and Be Fit. Be Well.